HaveUHeard.com includes links to third-party websites and advertisements for third-party products and services. Product and service-specific opinions mentioned within the content of our blogs are entirely the opinions of the HaveUHeard.com team and its staff. It is our hope that you will find value in the products and services these third-party organizations represent, and patronize these businesses. Such advertising and marketing partnerships help make our efforts at HaveUHeard.com possible. Thank you for your support and ongoing interest. For additional information, please read our full HaveUHeard.com Disclosure Statement
When Disaster Strikes!
My daughters (and myself) have dropped their phones more times than I care to admit; so much so that even the insurance for accidental damage is used up. When disaster strikes and a phone screen shatters or a laptop stops working just as your student was finishing up a term paper, it can feel like the end of the world for them. I myself am known to panic if my computer freezes up for a moment just as I’m finishing up a work project. In today’s world, it is a difficult task to go on for any amount of time without access to a phone or laptop. The good news is that a repair is only a phone call away. FAU even has a computer and phone repair right on campus.
I do, however, highly recommend a backup system for computers. As a Mac user, I presently rely on iCloud. I can also recommend CrashPlan but some of our writers use Mozy. Both back up your computer daily (or as often as you deem necessary) so if you ever run into a jam, there is no need to panic; all their work has not been lost.
As for the phone, encourage them to back it up every once in a while to be sure all their contacts and photos are backed-up. I also highly recommend a good phone case. None of my 3 daughters enjoyed having a case on their phone; they all complained that they make their phone heavy and bulky. But it is truly a lifesaver. They can find some fun cases on Casetify so perhaps they won’t complain as much about having a case on their phone. Casetify even offers a 15% student discount with a verified student status registration or link through and get 10% off orders of $35 or more.
Most of the following places do both computer and cell phone repair.
- FAU does have a 24/7 for help with canvas. (Your student’s online portal for accessing classes) The help desk can be reached at 561-297-3999. Students can also submit a ticket online. Walk-ins are welcome during their hours of operation.
- TECH U (located in the Student Union) – TECH U is Fau’s on-campus computer store. They offer sales and support for laptops and phones. Students can also rent mini-fridges and buy protection plans for their electronics.
- FAU Help Desk– Located in the computer center (CM138) they provide phone and walk-in consulting services.
- Best Buy Geek Squad – Located on State Road 7, their agents provide repair, installation, and setup services on all kinds of tech – including computer repair, setup, and support. No matter where you bought your computer or phone, they will help. They are an Authorized Service Provider for Apple
- Network Rescue – They are an on-site computer repair service provider so they come to you or service you over the phone. Check their website for pricing. The service is primarily for Microsoft computers.
- KMBytes- Kmbytes is located off of Yamato Road, they offer computer and electronics repair. KMBytes offers a discount to FAU students.
- UBreakiFix – Located on North Federal Highway. Most smartphones and computer repairs are completed the same day and all their work is backed by a 90-day warranty. They will price-match any competitor.
- Apple – Boca Raton is home to a newly renovated Apple Store. If your student has apple products, the apple store can do many repairs the same day or with next day service. Apple offers protection plans on many products that can be utilized at their stores. Students can also chat with an Apple technician over the phone or on their website.
Pass on these great tips, tell your friends and like us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest. Find out more about how to use HaveUHeard as a great resource. Sign up for other great tips at haveuheard.com.