Coffee, Cup of Joe, a Cuppa, Java
Caffeine is king for most college students and, while generally the most economically savvy way of getting it is making it at home, most students choose to obtain their “bean juice” via more expensive and more social ways. I, for one, am a huge coffee lover and typically have a cup in the morning from my trusty Keurig, as well as a shop cup later in the afternoon. Since coffee shops are peaceful and quiet, they are my top choice of study spots in Tallahassee. They are also common places for dates, meetups, and hangouts due to the ease of conversation that seems to flow while drinking a dark roast or a cappuccino. It seems there’s a shop on every corner in Tallahassee which is great because you’re bound to find at least one that matches your vibe or scene.
Whether you have a hard test, huge essay, or crazy assignment, you are guaranteed to peacefully be able to finish and achieve an A when studying in a shop. Plus, who wouldn’t want to drink a cup of heavenly goodness while tackling a never-ending pile of work? By the way, many serve some amazing teas as well.
The Best Coffee Shops
- All Saints Café – A comfy, shabby-chic hangout serving barista-made coffee plus vegan & vegetarian quick bites.
- Argo Tea – True, it is a tea house, but tea deserves a fair tasting too. Located in the Shores building on campus.
- Black Dog Café – Waterfront cafe with a patio, offering espresso drinks & light fare in a comfortable atmosphere.
- Calvin’s Coffee House – Some people call Calvin’s the hidden gem of FSU.
- Catalina Café – Offers thoughtfully sourced java & espresso, plus sandwiches & housemade pastries.
- Dunkin – Don’t go for the atmosphere, but if you do go, you’ll need a donut.
- Lucky Goat Coffee – The cold brew is as delicious as the hot, and it’s pretty inside too.
- Paper Fox Coffee – In University Village Shopping Center, a great place to study or visit with a friend.
- RedEye Coffee – Midtown – Community-minded coffee shop offers eco-minded products in support of global humanitarian efforts.
- Serenity Coffee and Kava Bar – hours vary, on Railroad Ave.
- Square Mug Café – Local Tallahassee family-owned coffee shop dedicated to serving local and organic coffee and lunch, beer and wine, and homemade popsicles. Located in Railroad Square Art Park.
- Starbucks – located in all the libraries, but there are also a few off-campus.
- Tally Cat Café – serves Lucky Goat coffee, espresso, cold brew, and other drinks (wine) as well as a selection of pastries from local bakeries. The fun part is that there is a glass partitioned room filled with cats – The Cat Lounge, for playing and cuddles.
- The Power Plant Café – Located in the Edison Hotel, cozy inside, but why not sit outside?
- The Sweet Shop Café & Lounge – Pretty much on campus on Jefferson. A must-go at least once before you graduate.
Coffee shops are always popping up in Tally, so make sure you ask around for new places every so often, you might just find your favorite spot. Pass on these great tips, tell your friends and like us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest. Find out more about how to use HaveUHeard as a great resource. Sign up for other great tips at haveuheard.com.