Freshman – follow this bucket list for maximum fun!
As an incoming freshman to the University of Miami, it is important to be aware of some of the bucket list items that should be experienced throughout your time at college. These items are what make a Miami student’s time at UM unique and allow students to truly enjoy themselves at college. The University of Miami campus along with the surrounding area has a lot to offer, and it is important that students take advantage of these opportunities.
Check out our bucket list:
- Participate in Homecoming festivities – head to the lake on Friday night to watch the boat burning and Hurricane Howl fireworks
- Relax by the pool on campus- lay in the sun on a nice reclining chair and relax with friends or do some work or studying
- UM football game/tailgate- make sure to be in the student section for the smoke, it’s always a fun time cheering on the Canes with other students
- UM basketball game – stand in the student section and even participate in some of the halftime/timeout activities
- Go to a nearby beach (Key Biscayne/South Beach)
- Go to Wynwood Art District – the Wynwood Walls are a great attraction featuring many modern and unique wall paintings that people can observe for free. Definitely Instagram worthy.
- Go to the Rat – celebrate your 21st birthday with a pitcher or just catch up with friends to watch a Canes game
- Get a photo with Sebastian – whether it’s at a basketball game, baseball game, etc., Sebastian is always eager to meet the fans and take pictures
- Get a photo in front of the famous U statue – a typical tradition once being admitted to the school, a picture in front of the U is the perfect way to declare yourself at a Cane.
- Go to the Keys- When a long weekend rolls around before you graduate, you owe yourself a visit to the Florida Keys whether a quick trip to Key Largo, Islamorada, Marathon or all the way to Key West. Students will often try to get down to Key West for Fantasy Fest during Halloween (best if you are 21 and over)
Once you have experienced all of these bucket list items, you will truly know what it is like to be a Miami Hurricane.
Carter Krouse, HaveUHeard, University of Miami