Tax Time

HaveUHeard.com includes links to third-party websites and advertisements for third-party products and services. Product and service-specific opinions mentioned within the content of our blogs are entirely the opinions of the HaveUHeard.com team and its staff. It is our hope that you will find value in the products and services these third-party organizations represent, and patronize these businesses. Such advertising and marketing partnerships help make our efforts at HaveUHeard.com possible. Thank you for your support and ongoing interest. For additional information, please read our full HaveUHeard.com Disclosure Statement

haveuheard tax time um

Seems like it’s almost always tax time…

April 15th is always right around the corner. As you are preparing your return or having a CPA prepare your return, do not forget to take advantage of the Education Tax Credits available which can help offset the cost of your student’s education).

Two Credits Available

There are two tax credits available to take, The American Opportunity Tax Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit. The AOTC (American Opportunity Tax Credit) was extended through December 31, 2017. It now includes required course materials (think books, supplies, equipment) in addition to tuition and required fees (local, technology – you know, all those fees not included in tuition). The AOTC allows credit to be claimed for four post-secondary education years instead of two.

Those eligible will qualify for the maximum annual credit of $2,500 per student for which $1,000 is refundable for the American Opportunity Tax Credit. That means if you owe nothing, you get it back. A taxpayer whose gross income is greater than $90K ($180K filing joint) cannot claim the credit.

The Lifetime Learning Credit is $2,000 per year per taxpayer, for any post-high school education (including graduate-level courses and courses to acquire or improve job skills at an eligible educational institution. The Lifetime Learning Credit is nonrefundable;i.e. it can reduce regular income taxes to zero but can’t result in the receipt of a refund. For the Lifetime Learning Credit, a taxpayer whose gross income is greater than $57K ($114 filing joint) cannot claim the credit.

Some, or all, of these expenses will be recorded on Form 1098-T Tuition statement. Your student can obtain this form by logging into their student portal. Keep in mind that the required books, supplies and equipment and the local fees will not be on the 1098-T statement so make certain you take that into account. The Form 1098-T should be available online around January 24th, 2020 in paperless form and received by mail by January 31, 2020.

Make sure you take your allowable credits and consult with a professional or click here for further clarification.

Pass on these great tips, tell your friends and like us on Facebook,  Instagram,  Twitter, and Pinterest. Sign up for other great tips at haveuheard.com. New to HUH, here is how to use the site.

2019-08-26T13:46:23-04:000 Comments

Leave A Comment