Fun stuff to do!
It’s entertaining and almost silly to write about things to do when visiting your student at UM. Based on the fact that our kids are literally going to school in one of the state’s – and the world’s – most popular vacation spots. Yet, entertainment doesn’t need to just be about the beach when you visit. To begin with, if it is football season, get ready to cheer on those Canes. Actually, there is often a sport worth watching on campus somewhere. Check out our blog on UM Sports to find out more about the Hurricanes traditions and pertinent info about the stadium, etc.
More than football…
Undoubtedly a good meal is going to be in the plan, but beyond that, there is plenty to do not far from campus. If your entertainment tastes run toward films, you can catch a movie at the Movies at Sunset Place where there are literally 20 theaters and an IMAX. And if there is nothing you want to see at that theater, the Landmark Theatre in Merrick Park is only 10 minutes from campus too. Perhaps instead you’d like to take the family bowling at Bird Bowl or Splitsville, also in Sunset Place, both are pretty close to campus. There is no shortage of award-winning golf courses in Miami, try to stop at the Biltmore at least one time during the 4 years. Or if you are up for something a bit different, check out The Vizcaya Museum and Gardens, a National Historic Landmark and museum. The views of Biscayne Bay from the Gardens is unmatched in all of Miami.
But wait there is more entertainment. If you feel like strolling through a museum, the University of Miami has its very own Lowe Art Museum and a bit further north is the Perez Art Museum which sits on the same property as the Frost Museum of Science. The brand new Science museum is a great diversion if you happen to be traveling to Miami with younger siblings. Those same youngsters may also enjoy heading south-west to ZooMiami, or North to Parrot Jungle Island or the Seaquarium.
- Canoe, Kayak and Paddleboard Rentals in Coconut Grove, Miami Beach, Florida Keys
- Take a drive down to the Florida Keys. Many different vacation rentals, hotels, condos, fishing, snorkeling, scuba diving, parasailing, jet skis, etc.
- Take a drive west to Naples, Sanibel Island, Marco Island, Sarasota, and Tampa. Many different vacation rentals, hotels, condos, fishing, snorkeling, scuba diving, parasailing, jet skis, etc.
- Take a drive North to the Cape Canaveral, Orlando to check out Disney World and Universal Studios.
- Take a drive North to the Daytona to surf, and continue on to St Augustine to see the fort and explore gorgeous powdery beaches.
Let’s face it. Miami has a robust and thriving nightlife. If you’re not completely sure, ask your kids! There are so many great pubs, craft breweries, nightclubs, theatres, sporting events, cultural happenings, street fairs, gambling (close by), race track, Indian gaming, and countless restaurants, hotels, and clubs to fit the vibe, budget, and taste of any type of visitor. Now THAT’s entertainment!
Pass on these great tips, tell your friends and like us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest. Sign up for other great tips at haveuheard.com. Are you new to HaveUHeard? Here is how to best use the site.