Officially Unofficial – Dad is in Town to Visit!
Dad’s weekend isn’t exactly official at FAU, meaning that there isn’t one specific weekend that it is called for, but some sororities and fraternities have one. The sorority I am in does not have a specific weekend exclusive for dads, but there are several weekends throughout the year that you are meant to invite your family to. Whether you have a specific Dad’s weekend or not, there are plenty of things to do when your dad comes to town that will make your time with him special.
Going to school at the FAU allows you to have endless possibilities for activities to do with your dad. For those dads looking to relive their college experience, there are floods of parents that go out during Happy Hour. It is extremely relaxed and always a good time. There is both outside and inside seating and parents can get a glimpse into the college lives of their students. My parents love it- we get to go to the bars and have some great bar food for lunch.
For those students 21 and up, I would recommend going out in Boca or, just a short drive away, the Avenue in Delray. Some of our Boca favorites include
- O’Brian’s Irish Pub: The Irish Pub that draws 21-year-olds near and far. Known for their Friday night block parties and fun drinks.
- Dubliner: Irish pub featuring live music, karaoke, and trivia nights.
- Yard House: While it is a Full restaurant, Yard house features a large bar with over 100 beers on tap.
- Black Rose Irish Pub: Both indoor and outdoor bar space featuring several TVs and live music several nights a week.
- Nipper’s Bar and Grill: Nipper is a Local Legend, one of the only local places that stay open past 2 am. Nipper’s is a casual bar that features pool tables, games, and live music.
If you decide to head to The Avenue in Delray, check out:
- Salt7: Salt7 is for the partying crowd, a live nightclub featuring DJs every Friday and Saturday night. Brunch at Salt7 is also an experience; it turns into a full-blown party with music and performers.
- Honey: Honey has a lounge area with small tables, excellent small plates, and specialty cocktails. Honey has a DJ or Live music almost every night of the week.
- Bull Bar: Somewhat of a dive bar but always a good time. Bull Bar is a local favorite featuring a good variety of beers on tap, TVs, and live music.
- Sandbar: All outdoor, oceanfront tiki bars. This bar serves up tropical drinks on its sandy patio. Live music and yard games set the tone at this casual, beachfront bar.
- The Office – another popular spot located on the Avenue. DJ
A fun thing to do with your dad if you are 21 or older is to hit up some of the breweries; here are the top ones:
- The Funky Buddha Brewery & Lounge: Smalls plates, live music, and in-house brewed beer make for a great evening at this quirky location.
- Prosperity Brewers: One of the newer breweries calling Boca Raton home, Prosperity Brewers is located in the warehouse district. Prosperity has 8 beers on tap and features season beers throughout the year. Great Casual brewery to kick off the weekend.
- SaltWater Brewery: Located in Delray Beach, SaltWater featured a tasting bar, live music, brewery tours, and a beer garden with rotating food trucks.
- Park and Ocean – Located in Birch State Park, this restaurant, and garden have their own in-house brewery offering specialty beers. Great place to chill
- LauderAle – Located just outside Port Everglades, this is one of the first nano breweries in South Florida. Serving blondes, imperial stouts, and seasonal and special releases.
- Invasive Species – Located in Flagler Village. Rotating drafts, outside beer garden, beer to go, and food trucks on the weekends.
My parents and I love to eat at all of the amazing restaurants in town, so when my dad comes up, we always try to eat somewhere new and different. Whether it is breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner we are always guaranteed a good meal, and it’s nice to have dad pay for it! There are so many great restaurants located right on the water and the area is just beautiful.
There are also tons of different nature and outdoorsy activities to do with your dad – check out our suggestions in Nature vs Nurture. Wherever you go or whatever you do, make the most of the time you have with your dad when he comes to visit you. Having your dad come spend time with you at college will make memories that you will always remember!
Pass on these great tips, tell your friends and like us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest. Find out more about how to use HaveUHeard as a great resource. Sign up for other great tips at haveuheard.com.